Bendleby Ranges has a range of self-drive 4WD tours, varying from 1 to 5...
- We came for a 4-5 night stay with 26 friends and 14 cars. The designated camp ground allocated for us was roomy and we camped under shade in our caravans,camper trailers and tents,some with powered sites. Clean amenities, hot showers and a large camp kitchen. The 4WD tracks were well defined with something for beginners and experienced drivers not to mention - fantastic scenery.Added to the magic was watching a spectacular sunset on the ridge and a great wood fire in the fire pit with wood supplied! Try a self-drive historical tour to check out the nearby areas such as the Prince Alfred Mines, Belton township site, Hammond and the old Johnburgh Hotel ruins. The ceramic mural at the Carrieton Shire hall is also worth a look.
- With the rate of track closures in South Australia this place is a breath of fresh air (literally!). We decided at the last minute to head away for the October Long Weekend and was lucky enough to secure accommodation at the Crotta Homestead. Being first timers to the Bendleby Ranges this gave us the creature comforts of home and a chance to explore some of the more traditional camp sites.Being an avid and adventurous 4WD'er this place ticks all the boxes. My wife wasn't so keen to drive the two most difficult tracks so they will have to wait for our next trip! The tracks we did explore offered such diverse scenery from travelling along dry riverbeds in tall gorges to high ridge tops offering panoramic views.It wasn't all about the driving either, we climbed Eke's Peak and were rewarded with 360 degree views across this beautiful landscape and wandered thru Hidden Valley and Quarry Springs. A longer stay will allow more time to spend exploring the areas on foot that can't be accessed by vehicle.There are plenty of options to stop and refresh with a brew and something to eat while sitting back to watch the abundance of native animals.A capable vehicle and some knowledge of how to use it makes the tracks challenging but safe, if you have any concerns about your vehicle or your ability the training track simulates all of the obstacles you are likely to encounter.The staff are friendly and happy to chat even though they are busy running a working property making this a welcoming place to enjoy with family, friends or clubs.This is definitely the first of many visits to this accessible yet remote part of the SA Outback.Jane, Warren and staff keep up the good work!
- We spent three days driving the Bendleby and Hungry Ranges with freinds and their familys.What a magnificent place, there is truly something for everyone from the 4Wd tracks to bush walking or just relaxing and soaking up the peaceful surrounds.Warren and Jane are very freindly and accommodating.
- For those who love four wheel driving and pull up for the night and camp , cook, enjoy! This is a great place to get away from it all, the trecks are great and being a few hours from adelaide or help they are not to rough that it will destroy your car.How ever what you will need is all the comforts of Home,eg tents showers, solar... depends on your version of four wheel driving. This time of year is perfect,not bad with the heat, but the flies are super thick , so prepare. There is enough to keep you driving all day in time to pull up and set up camp.Trek is very well signed posted, I personally would take a satellite phone if you have one, and go with other 4x4 friends!
- Enjoyed the 4 wheel driving experience - plenty of tracks of varying difficulty with Billy goat track being the most challenging. Also great bush camping experience
- Well organised, signposted, managed, mapped, described and organised (did I say organised) 4WD tracks that would last you three or four days.The owners seem very concerned to ensure that people are only driving on tracks within their capabilities and intent on breaking you in slowly and saving the best (Billy Goat in Hungry Ranges) until last and until they could see that your eyes weren't hanging out your head from the more moderate difficulty tracks.Very personable and friendly. Great service. Great people.